Search This Blog

Friday, March 19, 2010

Sesame oil - LOVE IT!

One of my fave ingredients to work with is sesame oil. It's funny because I don't particularly like sesame seeds in my food (unless it's furikake, then it's all good!), but I really love sesame oil. It lends a distinct flavor, you don't need to use too much, and it adds a bit of Asian flare to just about any dish.

Tonight I made vegan pad thai with tofu (the pad thai was a packaged sauce from Fresh & Easy) served over rice sticks, and egg drop soup for the girls. I only used half the block of tofu because the package of sauce was small and I wasn't sure the girls were going to like it (hence why I made the egg drop soup as well.) As I cubed up the tofu, I found myself wondering what to do with the other half, and then I decided to marinade it in soy sauce, sesame oil, apple cider vinegar (rice wine would have been more traditional Asian, but I didn't have any on hand), and chopped garlic (with a marinade you don't have to chop too much, I sliced it.) I did equal parts soy sauce (low sodium), sesame oil, and apple cider (2 tbsp each) and filled the rest of the jar with water. I snuck a few pieces (about 4 hours into the marinade) and it was delightful! I added some salt to it, and green onions and red pepper flakes would have just made it, but I don't have any green onion and I'm hoping Emily will want to try some of it, so I'm leaving the pepper flakes out.

You can use sesame oil in salad dressings, to fry food in, as an addition to crab rangoon mixture (which btw, are very easy to make, and you can actually have, gasp, crab in it! I do so love when a restaurant is honest and just calls them cream cheese puffs though!) Here's a delectable little recipe that I want to try very badly (leaving out the ginger, not a fan of that unless it's in a cookie!)

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/guy-fieri/korean-chicken-wings-recipe/index.html

No comments:

Post a Comment